Thursday, April 27, 2023

My Relationship With Technology (Final Blog Post)


 As a college student who doesn't post on social media very often, my relationship with technology is a bit different than most. I use technology every day for schoolwork, research, and communication with friends and family, but I don't rely on it as heavily for entertainment or socializing.

When it comes to my friends and family, I think technology is both a positive and negative influence on their lives. On the one hand, it allows us to stay connected even when we're far apart, and it makes it easier to share information and experiences. However, I also see a lot of people getting sucked into social media and spending hours scrolling through their feeds without really engaging with the world around them. It's a double-edged sword, and I think it's important to find a balance between using technology to connect with others and disconnecting to be present in the moment.

In terms of my own relationships, technology plays a big role in how I stay connected with friends and family who live far away. We text, call, and video chat regularly, and it's nice to be able to share pictures and updates with each other easily. However, I also try to make an effort to disconnect when I'm spending time with people in person. I think it's important to be present and engaged with the people around you, rather than constantly checking your phone or getting distracted by notifications.

As for my online footprint, it's pretty small. I don't post on social media very often, and when I do, it's usually just a picture or a quick update. I'm not really concerned about having a large online presence, as I prefer to keep my personal life private. However, I am aware that if I were to apply for a job, the first thing a prospective employer would do is search for me online.

Overall, I think it's important to be mindful of your online presence and to think about how you want to present yourself to the world. It's easy to forget that everything you post online is public and can be accessed by anyone, including potential employers. While social media can be a great way to connect with others and share your life, it's also important to be careful about what you share and how you share it.

In the video "What Happens to Your Digital Life When You Die?" by CNBC, it's discussed how technology has changed the way we think about death and legacy. With so much of our lives now online, it's important to think about what will happen to our digital footprint when we're gone. This is something that I had never really thought about before, but it's a sobering reminder that everything we do online will be there forever.

In the video "How Technology is Hijacking Your Mind," former Google employee Tristan Harris discusses the ways in which technology is designed to be addictive and keep us hooked. He talks about how social media and other apps are designed to keep us scrolling and clicking, even when we don't really want to. This video was eye-opening for me, as it made me realize just how much of our lives are influenced by technology and how important it is to be mindful of our usage.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship With Technology (Final Blog Post)

 As a college student who doesn't post on social media very often, my relationship with technology is a bit different than most. I use t...